"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pilot Story - Life of a Novice

So I've been told more than once that my life never seems to have a dull moment! I read a few blogs and got to thinking, why don't I blog my "stories", just for fun, on all my experiences as a NOVICE in everything I/we do; even if no one wants to read my blog, it will always be here for me to look back on...just when I thought it couldn't get worse, I can go back into my blog and see that it can!

There's been many "Life on the Farm" examples as of recent that I could blog about; running out of water, tractor breaking down, catching and socializing a litter of feral kittens, letting my horses eat too much grass [I knew better, dang it!], but last nights incident made me decide this was a sign to proceed forward with that thought - write a blog!

Enjoy! If you are a novice too, and you're reading this blog, I hope you find comfort in my stories and know you aren't the only one! So without further or do....

My neighbors are idiots! I brought the horses in shortly before 9pm last night and right as Allen and I got to the pasture, the brilliant neighbors started setting off firecrackers like it was freaking 4th of July - NEWSFLASH - that was Saturday!!!

So Gypsy walked fine for Allen, but Apollo about dragged me the whole way up ;( It was the longest walk of my life; I can honestly say I was not nervous at all and we circled a lot...I was just extremely aggravated with the neighbors [IDIOTS!]

So we get into Apollos stall and he is a little shaky, but fine. I take off his halter & fly mask and give him a good scratch like usual - next thing I know, he bolts past me and flys through his stall door and OUT THE BARN. Again, I am proud to say I don't really think I panicked, but maybe that is because my husband was doing it for me! LOL

Apollo (mind you, halter-less) swiftly trotted over to the gravel drive, near the bend that leads to the front of the house, so my instinct is that he is going to follow the driveway out front - ekks! All I am thinking is to scream loose horse so the imbeciles next door lay off the firecrackers!! I slowly approached Apollo, talking CALMLY (I swear, really, I was calm!) and then he swings around and runs back towards the barn. I am thinking, too easy, you won't go back in the barn....and he doesn't.....he squeezes himself through the brush between his barn and Daisy's and ends up in what will be her pasture area (aka, no fence yet!). Allen follows his path and I tell him STAY there so if he runs back, you can grab him. (What was I thinking, he didn't even have a freaking lead). I come around the back side and start to slowly approach while Apollo is loving life in the grass he's found *sigh*. Then Allen starts to approach.....didn't I say STAY WHERE YOU ARE!?

Long story wrap up....Apollo ended up swinging around and putting himself away ;) Good Boy!
Moral of this Story? Get a second job so you can fence in YOUR WHOLE property!

No comments: