"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Barn Yard Chronicles: Bored Horses

It's been raining here. Raining a lot. Raining to the point that I may be sinking back into seasonal depression! So it should be no surprise that the horses probably feel the same way. They have to stay inside when it rains like this, otherwise they'll tear up their pastures and have no grass for the summer months. Normally, Gypsy chews a nice sculpture in one of the walls and calls it a day. Everyone else just screams in whinnies as soon as they hear me pull in the drive.

Today...was a tad different. I had set a scented geranium I had potted inside the barn before I left for work in the morning. I figured it would be better in there for the day since it certainly didn't need another days worth of rain. This pot has a trellis in it for the geranium to grow up. Nothing fancy, just something I put together with apple sticks and twine. I came home and discovered the dirt in the pot a mess and the trellis out and across the barn aisle floor. And my eyes went STRAIGHT TO ONE HORSE - Apollo! He must have reached over the front of his stall, grabbed the trellis [in his mouth], wacked it around to mess up the dirt, then flung it across the barn aisle. *Sigh*

So I move on. I head to the hay 'crib' to get dinner and peer through the slatted side to look in on the minis. I see Romeo in Daisy's stall [huh!?].......then for a second I had sheer panic that someone, anyone, was loose, somewhere. Then I noticed the divider door to their stalls was open, looked left and saw Daisy in Romeo's stall. Hmmmmmmm - ok, so clearly I didn't lock the divider door after I fed this morning. Hey, what can I say. I am a walking Zombie in the a.m.!

I then get into the stalls and boy would a camera have made this story a tad more interesting! They were salt licks on the ground, hay EVERYWHERE, shavings piles destroyed, poo on the wall [!] and donkey hair everywhere :/ Poor Daisy. She is usually the instigater, and I have no doubt she was today too, but she sure got her little hinny behind whooped :( She had two kick marks on her and she was PISSSTED! If Romeo so much as attempted to look at her this evening, she had a FIT. I mean a royal, he-hawing hissy fit. (she normally does any ways, but this time, I swear you could just hear the anger in her he-haws!)

Poor Daisy - half a tube of neosporin later, she is tucked in with a full belly as I type! Never a dull moment I tell ya....never a dull moment! I could only imagine what went on in that barn today.....or what the neighbors may have heard!

Here are a few pics I snapped on the cell after I was done playing Dr. Vet ;) Rain, please, GO AWAY!

Lemongrass Plant from my Mom; the dogs and Savannah LOVE to eat it!

These iris flowers smell like grape jelly!






No comments: