"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, April 11, 2011

Pruning Pick Up Day

Yesterday was beautiful here which was great since we had lots of work to do in the orchard. Allen pruned the whole orchard by himself this year - amen! - since I was a tad tied up with a newborn ;) After the trees are all pruned, we have to go through and pick up all the sticks and twigs (and sometimes whole branches) that are pruned off. It must be my least favorite job of running an orchard! Luckily, some of my family came out prepared to help us tackle this task!
My brother-in-law, Jay, and my Dad



Allen and his new farm hand, Maddy!


And yet the newest addition, destined to be a farm hand ;) haha



This week we'll be spraying a coating of Horticultural Oil on the trees. It helps control the pests that winter over on the trees. The buds are looking great and plentiful so cross your fingers we'll have a good season!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I hope you have a great growing season! Our "orchard" is pathetic compared to yours, LOL! I count THREE apples growing on my Dorsett Golden ..woo hoo! And maybe 5 cherries on one of my trees. I wonder if our trees will ever produce more than a handful at a time? LOL! ;)

Unknown said...

Best of luck this growing season! Love the fact that the whole family gets involved. Thanks for sharing.