"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Raspberry Patch

Hubby got to work this week on our new Raspberry Patch.

He took clipings and seedlings from his mom's Raspberry plants to start ours.


We have two rows on the SW corner of the Orchard that once homed grapvines. Most had died off by the time we moved here, but there are still a few we are trying to keep going. The parts of the grapevine area no longer 'housing' live grape vines are now being transformed to other gardens - hence the Raspberry Patch.


Another section is going to be for my Moon & Stars Watermelons.




Hubby got 15 seedlings planted; fingers crossed they do well!

If I remember correctly, I think he said one plant is a Blackberry bush too.


What do you plant with/near your Berry bushes? Anyone?



I hope to see lots of Raspberry jam & butter next year :)


3 comments:

meemsnyc said...

O M G! I am so jealous! I had no idea you could take cuttings and put them in the ground like that. We only have 6 raspberry plants. We are growing Heritage variety. What type are you growing? I planted 1 last year, and it looks like its finally coming back to life. We have 5 bareroots that I planted this year and only 3 are growing leaves. I hope the other 2 survive. Since they take forever to grow, I sowed radishes in between the rows of raspberries, because radishes grow in 30 days, I figure I can harvest them before the raspberry plants take off.

Nancy said...

We planted some in the corner of one of the old cow pens a few years ago, but I think they died of neglect. My bad.

Hope yours do better than mine. ;)

Debbie @ Swampbilly Ranch said...

Looks like you will have lots of things to make jams and butters out of next year.