"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Another 'Savannah-sode'

Savannah-sode ..... it is an episode involving Savannah!

Last week I had not one, but two lovely posts that involved her and her lovely hunting skills.

Today, I bring you another 'Savannah-sode'. This week, it is titled, Hunting the Chipmunk!

The past few days, we've noticed Savannah hanging out in the front yard in a wooded area. Hubby then discovered she was taking up camp next to a chipmunk hole. I didn't believe it was seriously an animal hole that she was literally, patiently stalking. So I looked for myself. And I'll be darned if she wasn't seriously, waiting patiently, at a chipmunk hole!

So Saturday, my niece came over. As her and her mom (Hi, Kristy!), were standing in the back yard talking with hubby, Savannah came running by with the Chipmunk in her mouth! According to hubby, the faces on my niece and sister-in-law were priceless. (good thing they didn't witness a bunny episode)

Savannah dropped the chipmunk and it promptly ran under the lilac bush - just as the bunny had. However, the chipmunks advantage was that it was able to climb all the way up the bush and hang on [for dear life] to the highest point of the top branch. It was a pitiful sight to see; I am surprised the 'munk didn't have a stroke. He was shaking so badly the whole branch was shaking. I felt bad for it and my niece kept asking me to do something to help it. I wish I could have. Savannah continued to patiently wait at the bottom of the bush.

Eventually, Savannah got bored, the chipmunk came down, and just when I am sure he thought the coast was clear, the stray orange tabby that has been coming around (we now call him Felix), pounced from the bushes. My niece started screaming, my husband tried to intervene and somehow, that 'munk got away! I only hoped it ran back to its hole to warn the rest of the 'munks and promptly find a new place to live.

No.Such.Luck. This morning, as I was getting ready for work, I look out the window to hear hubby yelling "Savannah....VANNA...leave it alone". You guessed it. The poor chipmunk was back for another round of 'cat & mouse'. *Sigh* I can't fell bad for it when it didn't learn the firs time!

3 comments:

katiegirl said...

If she needs a vacation she's welcome to come to MD..there are lots of mice in my barn and my cat Tucker can't keep up! :-)

Sherry said...

Haha... Savannah is keeping a really good eye on the farm!

meemsnyc said...

Oh my, she is a good hunter!