"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, June 25, 2011

A Discovery!

This morning, around 6:30ish AM, hubby was yelling to me from the bedroom window...he was outside walking the dogs because he'd just finished feeding the horses and I was still in bed with the babe...but don't get the wrong idea here. I was still in bed because the baby had a fussy night...and I was out of bed 15 minutes later anyways.....I digress. I am completely moving away from my point here!

Hubby told me he found something on his walk.
Can you see it in this picture?


Do you know what it is?




Here is a closer look.




IT'S RHUBARB!


After all the whining I have been doing about not being able to find Rhubarb easily this Spring, then trying to find some Rhubarb plants for trade, THEN coming home to a Rhubarb plant hubby decided to just buy for me, I now find that I have had it all along!

It was hiding in the brush on our property line along the north side of the orchard! The funny thing is, since last year when I discovered my new found love for Rhubarb, hubby and I kept saying 'I can't believe there isn't Rhubarb planted somewhere on this property', because, for everything else planted here [an orchard, grapes, nut trees, garlic, magnolia bush and all other kinds of plants, flowers, shrubs etc], someone who planted here in the past surely must have planted Rhubarb! And gosh darn it, they DID! It just took us 3 years to find it! I wish I could have seen how this property was laid out, in all it's beauty, way back when.





So now, my dilema of where to plant the Rhubarb hubby bought is solved...I will clear the area where this gem's been hiding and plant right next to it :)





And look, another lil' shooter coming up!


YAHOO!


5 comments:

meemsnyc said...

What a completely awesome find! Nice!! I'm sure there will be lots of pies and jam in your future.

HolleyGarden said...

What a great find! It does make you wonder how the garden was laid out in older times.

Unknown said...

he he, I was like what is that? Super cool

kitsapFG said...

A little TLC and you will have a great specimen rhubarb plant. Great discovery and good eye to spot it amongst the undergrowth.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

I am so Jealous of that Rubarb baby :o( I planted a Rubarb about 8 or 9 years ago < it was an excellant specimen picture perfect of what a full grown Rubarb looked like...stupid me, didn't know what and when to do with it...it died :o( since then I have tried to plant another and another..no luck and even the nurserys don't have one :o( I'm over the jealousy now..good harvest with yours :o)