"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Thursday, October 27, 2011

101 Uses for Vodka

Ok, maybe not 101! But I had received an email from a friend awhile back about uses for Vodka...other than to have a good time! I was intrigued and since I try to be green and do without chemicals whenever possible, I tucked a few of these ideas away. Check it out and see if you do or have heard of any of these.

*****

1. To remove a bandage painlessly, saturate the bandage with vodka - it dissolves the adhesive.

2. To clean the caulking around bathtubs and shower fill aspray bottle with vodka, spray the caulking, let set five minutes and wash clean. The alcohol in the vodka kills mold and mildew.

3. Spray vodka on wine stains, scrub with a brush, and then blot dry.

4. Using a cotton ball, apply vodka to your face as an astringent to cleanse the skin and tighten pores.

5. Fill a spray bottle with vodka and spray bees or wasps to kill them.

6. Fill a clean jar with freshly packed lavender flowers, fill the jar with vodka, seal the lid tightly and set in the sun for three days. Strain liquid through a coffee filter, then apply the tincture to aches and pains.

7. To cure foot odor, wash your feet with vodka.

8. Pour vodka over an area affected with poison ivy to remove the urushiol oil from your skin.

9. Swish a shot of vodka over an aching tooth. Allow your gums to absorb some of the alcohol to numb the pain.

What kind of alternative uses have you used Vodka for?
I have someone looking to purchase some of our Quince because she said she uses her Polish Grandmothers recipe to make Quince Vodka!! That, I would like to try!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL I love that. I dont drink hard alcohol only beer or else I would try some of these :)

Susan said...

Great info--LOL! I thought it was only good for martinis and cosmopolitans : )

Susan said...

It makes great pie dough!

Mary said...

I had no idea! The only I use it for other than mixing drinks is making vanilla extract.