"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Monday, December 5, 2011

Dark Days Challenge: Week #1



Yesterday I prepared my first meal for the Dark Days Challenge. If you aren't familiar,  you can read more about it here. But, in a nutshell, it means I have accepted the challenge to prepare at least one meal a week from Nov.27 through March 31 that is a SOLE meal - sustainable, organic, local and ethical.

I made oven baked grass fed beef patties, roasted beets and roasted purple potatos! I was going to do frozen broccoli from the freezer stash, but the beets were calling my name at the store :)
The ground beef was from Green Vista Farm - purchased at Local Roots.

The purple potatos were from Adonai Acres, also purchased at Local Roots.

The onion and garlic I used in my beef patties were from a recent visit to the Medina Farmers Market.
The only ingredients I used that were't local were olive oil on the potatos and coconut oil with the beets for roasting and the cornstarch I used when I whipped up a gravy for the patties.




Check out other particpants and their meal for the week here!

I have also linked this post up at Ruth's Real Food
and The Healthy Home Economist

4 comments:

Jill said...

I love this meal--I often do simple meals like this, especially after picking up my veggies from my CSA each week. A typical and similar meal that I will make at least weekly is bunless burgers (grass fed from the CSA), roasted beets (just like you did here with coconut oil), and kale chips, salad, or other green veggie. Thanks for sharing!

HolleyGarden said...

Looks great! I'm not a big fan of beets, but I love the way your paired them with purple potatoes!

Chiot's Run said...

YAY for Local Roots! I got some beautiful lettuce from there for my first DD meal! I so appreciate that they're open all year long. Makes this challenge much easier! Those beets look GREAT - I so love roasted beets!

Bee Girl said...

That meal looks fantastic! Good job!