"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

~ Saying of the Gladdagh Gypsies of Galway


Saturday, February 11, 2012

Seed Orders 2012

I FINALLY got my seed orders placed -- well, almost. Seed Savers website isn't cooperating at the moment, but I just needed a few things from there. Try to decide on varieties is awful! That Baker Creek catalog and their squash and tomato selections give me anxiety! Can't I just try them ALL!

Here is my order -- my husband said I am nuts! But I am determined to have good crops of ALL this!


This was my Baker Creek Order

Golden Wax Bush Bean

Romanesco Italia Broccoli

Danvers 126 Half Long Carrot

Alaska Garden Pea

Cocozella Di Napoli
Early Prolific Straightneck Squash
Butternut Waltham Squash

Long Island Cheese Pumpkin

Table Queen Bush Squash

Five Color Silver Beet Chard

San Marzano Lungo No. 2 Tomato

Jujube Cherry Tomato

Grace Lahman's Pink

Black Early Tomato

Cuor Di Bue Tomato

Bread and Salt Tomato


Purple of Sicily Cauliflower
Bull's Blood Beet
Tendercrisp Celery

Golden Bantam 12-Row Corn



And this was my order from Peaceful Valley
Organic Bean, Bush Black Turtle
Organic Cucumber, National Pickling

Organic Cucumber, Muncher

Sunflower, Autumn Beauty

Organic Parsnip, Turga

Yarrow, White

Zinnia, California Mix
Coneflower, Black Sampson

Coneflower, Purple
Organic Bean, Bush Tendergreen

 
Should the Seed Savers site and my pc decide to cooperate ;) I plan to order a Romaine variety lettuce from them as well as Calendula.
 
For onions this year, I decided I only will try a few from seed with the seeds I have left from last year. Instead, I am hoping for better luck with the sets I ordered from Dixondale Farms.
 
 
I also have some seeds from trades I made over the past year, including the seeds I received from Suzanne. She sent me seeds for Asparagus, Squash, Cherry tom's, Butternet and Zulu pumpkins.
 
So what kinds of things are you planting this year? Trying anything new?
 

6 comments:

Tami said...

Thanks for the link to Dixondale.

I've never heard of them but liked what they had to offer. I too am starting onion seeds (growing as we speak) but I'd like to hedge my bets a bit with some sets too.

Onions and strawberries are the last things on my list, so I went ahead and took your advice and bought the onions from Dixiondale. I'm trying a "sampler" of intermediate day onions.

Debi said...

Oh you are getting me excited about spring time. You put in quite an extensive order. Isn't it fun scouring the seed sites and catelogs.Can't wait to play in the dirt again. I really like the squashes, and of course the tomatoes.

Nancy said...

My, you are going to be busy this spring, Allison! Looking forward to seeing how all of these do. :)

HolleyGarden said...

Good luck with all your seeds! I'm not going to have anything if I don't get off my rump and get my seeds planted! :O

Unknown said...

I am hoping to sit down with the family tonight and figure out what we are going to buy this year and we are really hoping for a less crazy Spring than last year (it was still snowing in April!).

meemsnyc said...

Great list! You are going to love Long Island Cheese Squash! It is delicious!!